1 Dead, at Least 17 Wounded in Shootings Across Chicago
A 19-year-old man was standing on a sidewalk when a person opened fire, striking him in the right armpit, police said. The man was taken to Mount Sinai, where he was later pronounced dead.
Area North Detectives are investigating, and no one is in custody.
One of the victims, a 24-year-old man, was shot in the back, and is in critical condition at Holy Cross Hospital, according to police. Three other victims, a 29-year-old man, a 23-year-old man, and a 20-year-old woman, are all in stable condition at local hospitals.
No suspect is in custody at this time, and Area Central Detectives are investigating the shooting.
Approximately two hours later in the 8600 block of South Exchange, a 28-year-old man was standing on a sidewalk with a group of people when two men approached and opened fire, striking him in the head.
The victim was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he is listed in critical condition. No one is in custody, and Area South Detectives are investigating the shooting, police said.
A short time later, a 16-year-old boy was riding in a car in the 3400 block of West 24th Street when a person on a sidewalk opened fire, striking him in the head, police said. The teen was taken to Mount Sinai, where he is listed in critical condition.
Here are the rest of the weekend’s shootings:
- A 19-year-old was shot in the stomach during a confrontation with another man on Friday afternoon, according to Chicago police. The incident occurred just after 4 p.m. in the 3400 block of North Cicero, and involved the 19-year-old and a 36-year-old man, who pulled out a gun and shot the teen during the scuffle. The victim is in stable condition at Illinois Masonic, and the 36-year-old man is in police custody.
- Just before 6:30 p.m. in the 3300 block of West Cermak, police responded to a call of shots fired. There were no victims at the scene, but later two men, a 31-year-old and a 34-year-old man, drove themselves to Stroger Hospital. Both victims are in serious condition, police say, but no further details are available.
- In the first block of East 114th Place at approximately 8:50 p.m., a 16-year-old boy was on a street when a witness heard gunshots, police said. The boy was shot in the left and right thighs, and was taken to Christ Hospital in stable condition.
- A 40-year-old man was standing in the 7500 block of North Paulina when two men walked up to him and attempted to rob him. When the man fled, he was shot in the right hand, and was taken to an area hospital in stable condition, police said.
- At approximately 11:28 p.m. in the 3600 block of West Douglas, a 14-year-old boy was standing in a park when he was shot in the right shoulder, police said. The boy was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he’s listed in stable condition.
- In the 4200 block of West Van Buren at approximately 12:35 a.m., a 28-year-old man was standing on a sidewalk when he heard shots and felt pain in his left leg. Police say the man was taken to Loretto Hospital, but was later transferred to Stroger, where he’s listed in stable condition.
- A 31-year-old man was walking in the 900 block of South Western at approximately 2 a.m. when he was shot in the legs, according to police. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in stable condition.
- At approximately 2:40 a.m., a 27-year-old man was standing in the 3700 block of West Lake when he was shot in the left leg. The man was taken to Mount Sinai, where he’s listed in stable condition, police said.
- Police say a woman suffered a graze wound to her calf after she was shot in the 4500 block of West West End at approximately 6:24 a.m. Police believe the shooting was a domestic incident, and the woman refused EMS treatment.
- ShotSpotter alerted police to a shooting in the 8700 block of South Exchange at approximately 11:42 a.m., and when they arrived on scene they were stopped by a person driving a gunshot victim, a 25-year-old man. That man was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition, and no suspect is in custody.
- Just before noon in the 2500 block of South Sawyer, a 34-year-old man was riding his bike when a person in a Black Nissan began firing shots at him, striking him multiple times, police said. The man was taken to Mount Sinai in serious-to-critical condition.